Tuesday 31 July 2012

Dylan's Progress

31.7.2012: Dylan has had a very stormy course over the last few days. By Monday he was refusing all food. just sleeping on the bed; paw covered over his eyes as if to shut out the world. All our attempts at coaxing him to eat were in vain.  By the afternoon we were beginning to think this was the end and I was due to make an appointment for the vets today. But miraculously, around 6.00pm he trotted downstairs and up to the kitchen door waiting to be taken for his walk. Luckily it was still quite warm out so I took him into the garden for a while. When he came back he decided he would eat after all and although he's only had small quantities it's an improvement on the last two days. I even tried him with some warmed, pureed baby food which he obligingly licked off my finger. He even wanted to go out in the run with his sisters in the evening. Then he settled on the settee for the night - just as he normally would. He joined in the evening grooming session and managed a little more food before returning to mum's bedroom, which has become his sanctuary from the girls when they are tearing about. Today he is still very tired and looks poorly now but seems a bit better and even 'cried' at me for food - just like the old days before his illness. We were torturing ourselves yesterday about making the decision to let him go and shed many tears but for the moment I am going to see how he goes. At least if he wants to eat and potter about I know there's a glimmer of hope. It's so hard to know the right thing to do. Up until the minute Stuart told me the disease was in his kidneys I still hoped and prayed he might beat this disease even though I knew it was unlikely, now I know it's just a matter of time. Each day with him is so precious. I dread the day we will have to make the decision to let him go, I can hardly bear thinking about it but I know we have to start to come to terms with it as I can see now it won't be far away and our only hope is a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment